Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Painting my eyes on a piano key


my sketch for the painting of my eyes on a piano key


piano key ivory (shown at it's actual size)

In earlier times, the ideal painting surface for many miniature painters was ivory. As most people know, it's no long allowable to market new ivory. One legal source of old ivory is old piano keys which have been stripped off the wooden keys of a piano, so today's miniaturists sometimes like to try painting on 'piano key ivories'.

I wanted to come up with an interesting profile image for my Facebook art fan page, and I thought it would be fun to try painting my own eyes in oil on a piano key ivory, so today I plotted out this sketch.

More soon on this, but first I'll be posting the framed, finished version of "Kimberly's Eye #2".

No comments: